Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Guys

Garrison Keillor wrote a collection of short stories 20-ish years ago called The Book of Guys. I listened to Keillor narrate the audiobook during my daily commute into the city back in the DC days. One story, told from the point of view of the Greek god-guy Dionysus, nearly caused me to wreck the car. I couldn't see through tears (of mirth) to navigate the vehicle into the parking garage and swipe my access card. Details included a lanyard chain caught in the steering wheel, a horn stuck in blaring mode, and the distinct odor of fire. But I digress.

Mary and I had a handyman, Keith, now retired, who used to say, "A guy could ..." A guy could put in a window there. A guy could give you an outlet on that wall if you want. A guy could maybe put a TV over the fireplace. A guy could make a nice rounded shelf for that corner. We always thought that was so darn funny, so idiosyncratic, so uniquely Keith. We were wrong.

Dan has always referred to the gentleman who builds all of his cabinets as "the Amish Guy." The epithet seemed somehow disrespectful, so I asked if the Amish Guy has a name. (Turns out he does: William. But I digress.) Then last week, when I had the experience of working at the house for nine days while the wood floors were being installed, the trim was being cut and fit, the tile was being laid, and more, I learned that "Guy" is an honorific. The Trim Guy. The Wood Guy. The Tile Guy. The Siding Guys. All used among one another to express esteem, appreciation, camaraderie. (Contrast with The Tax Man, who walked in on me while I was painting the library. But I digress.) Nobody called me The Paint Guy last week, alas. I haven't earned it. In fact, I'm throwing in the shop towel and inviting real Paint Guys to finish up.

The Tile Guy and his niche:

The day after the Wood Guys:

The door delivery from the Lumber Guy:

Yesterday's delivery from the Amish Guy:

And today, Dan the Uber Guy started putting in the kitchen:

2 comments:

  1. You are just knowing when to fold 'em, an honorable tradition among guys of all types. I once read a book of Garrison Keillor short stories (not the same one ... had a radio on the cover, I'd tell you but it is packed somewhere) that had me crying and holding my stomach in laughter. Man, that guy should be a writer. Anyway, as I was saying before DIGRESSION your house is amazing, the paint is beautiful, and if you really painted every square inch yourself on your crazy timeline I would know you really are more than human. As it is, you are still perfect wonderful Darcie, just one that knows when to say, "HELP! I need a paint guy!" Lovely Amish cabinetry, and the kitchen looks like a great home for mush ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who is amazing? Who packs up her family of FIVE and her household and moves across the country with six days' notice to get her firstborn to school on the first day of kindergarten and start her new job? And still finds the time to read this silly blog (on the same day) and write a lovely note? YOU! I can't wait to hear about everything. Absolutely everything. And we'll talk about when you all are coming for mush, now that I know you are the queen of the road trip.

      Delete