August 20-21: drywall seams taped and plastered by First Choice Drywall. August 22: walls textured ("orange peel") by FCD. August 23, 8:00 a.m.: ceilings and closets painted white with FCD's magic wand. August 23, 2:00 p.m.: the next team of professionals arrives to begin painting the interior. That would be myself and Lena. Painting the whole house.
In 1981, Allen and I bought our first home, a 1400-square-foot ranch in Falls Church, Virginia, that was covered head to toe with wallpaper. Every room had paper, some rooms a different pattern on every wall. I was six months pregnant when we moved in, and up to the last minute we were peeling paper and applying paint. Allen was enthusiastic about new undertakings, and always managed to find really good learning resources--before there was such a thing as the Internet. So together we learned how to remove paper and glue, how to prep surfaces, how to repair drywall, what tools to use, what paints to use, how to cut in, how to use a brush, how to roll. You don't just slap it up.
When I bought my second house, a row house down the street from the ranch, the first floor was painted chocolate brown, even the trim. That depressing brown had to go. During the 16 years we lived there, the house was like the Golden Gate Bridge. Practically as soon as I finished painting it, I'd start over with a new palette. My uniform included a striking pair of green seersucker shorts. Seth once said, "Uh-oh, Mom's wearing shorts. She's going to paint again."
This is one skill that I can bring to the 2425 Kendall Project and pass along to Lena at the same time. I can see that she'll be the kind of woman who will also be repainting her walls on a regular basis. She's an interior designer at heart. And this will be the easiest job ever. No prep. No floors and furniture to cover with dropcloths. No windows and doors and trim to cut around. We can make a MESS. Piece of cake. Time to break out the shorts.
Day 1, August 23: While I cut in at the ceiling, Lena brushes around the untrimmed windows, doors, outlets, and so forth. By the end of the day, we've gotten through the first floor, which has to be completely painted by Monday, when the wood floors are to be installed. We're surprised to find Dennis, the Trim Guy, at the site, though. The plan was to paint all the walls, then paint all the trim wood before Dennis put it up. Change of plans. Dennis is going to be on our heels, putting up trim in a room as soon as we get its walls done. Which means I'll have to paint the trim after it's up, not when it's on sawhorses. Dang. Add two days to the project. Minimum.
Day 2, August 24: Lena's pal Isabel joins the team. Note the brushwork around the sconce boxes and windows:

And the same scene nine hours later, after we finished the main level. Yay, Team!
Day 3, August 25: The heat index is supposed to be 100-ish. I text Dan, who is vacationing with his family in DC: "Can we power up the AC?" Dan responds immediately: "If there's a meter on the house, yes." We traipse outside, and there it is: the holy MG&E grail. Flipping the house main ON and turning the thermostat (installed yesterday) to COOL feels like launching the space shuttle. I wish I'd photographed the meter showing 0.
One by one, Lena and I open all the paint cans for the upstairs rooms: Waterscape, Filmy Green, Contented, Chivalry Copper, Celery, Hazel, and the ubiquitous Kilim Beige. As we paint, Dennis plays country music on the radio downstairs and Lena plays Pandora "French Cafe" from her iPhone upstairs. By the end of the day, colored lines and circles are everywhere, the master bath is done, and all of the windows downstairs are wearing poplar and pine caps.

Tomorrow: wood floors! Jon picked up the order a few days ago. It's been acclimating in the middle of the great room, waiting for the big day.

Next imperative: paint the bathrooms before Randy, the Tile Guy, comes on Wednesday. Oh, and stay ahead of Dennis! Did I actually say "piece of cake"...?
Looking beautiful! Can't wait to see the rooms with floors installed!
ReplyDeleteNow this is the kind of post I love --- meaty, with lots of stories and photos. I can just see your first house, and I CAN see your townhouse, painted beautifully. Now your new house (meter: 0 indeed!) is as gorgeous as the other places, and coming together beautifully. I love the idea of not having to paint around trim --- sign me up for a new house!
ReplyDelete